Thursday, May 19, 2011

I made it!

1. What piece of work and learning are you most proud? Explain.
I'm most proud of my lit circles. From the start of the year I wasn't getting such good grades on my lit circles, mostly because I wasn't so good at writing well structured paragraphs and essays. I didn't respond to things correctly because I wasn't including the right details. As the time went by and Mr. Thomas kept going through the ways to make your paragraph or essay well structured (topic sentence, evidence, conclusion), I had finally got the hang of writing well structured paragraphs and my lit circle grades went up. So I think that's what I'm most proud
of.

2. What were your greatest challenges? Explain.
I think my greatest challenge were blogposts. I had the same problem with blogposts that I did with lit circles. My blogposts weren't well structured. The only blogposts that I didn't have much trouble with at first were narrative type of blogposts. The ones that you had to make a story. I have a very strong imagination which is why I found that part the easiest. I learned to write proper blogposts at the same time that I learned to write well structured paragraphs for my lit circles. After learning the well structured paragraph form, I also realized some change in my grades of my blogposts. So that's what I thought was my greatest challenge.

3. Reflecting on your growth this year, what did you learn about yourself as a learner?
At the beginning of the year I wasn't really sure what type of learned I was, but after Mr. Whiting came in and gave us the lesson on our learning profile, I really did realize the type of learner I was. I was more creative with my work. I didn't do it all so organized. Like I said before, I was better at writing storie rather than informational type of paragraphs. So that's what I learned from this year as to what type of learner I am.

4. To evaluate your work habits, choose 1 of the following from each category ( and provide explanations):

a) Behavior
Satisfactory- I think my behaviour is satisfactory because I don't think I had the best behaviour. I did talk to my friends a lot during class and didn't get much work done, but it only happened once in a while. There were times when I wouldn't get much work done and there were times when I got a lot of work done. So I don't think my behaviour is perfect, but I don't think it is really really bad.

b) Participation
Actively participate in class- I'm always participating in class whether it is a group project or a class discussion. I always try to answer questions in class. Also in group projects I always do the work that I'm assigned. I don't want to let my other group members down. So I'm always trying to do anything I can to get the work done.

c) Organization
Satisfactory- My locker may not always be the cleanest, but I always try to get the time to organize it. Also my binder for math, science and humanities can sometimes be organized. When I go home, if I have any spare time after homework and everything, I try to organize my binder. Throw away any papers I don't need, make sure everything is in the right placed. So that's how I think I'm doing in my organization skills.

d) Effort
Satisfactory- Most of the time I'm always putting all my effort in to class work, homework, projects and tests.

Goal 1 – In grade 7, I plan to start spending more time on editing my work. Recently, I looked over my writing pieces in grade 6 and I have realized a lot of grammar and punctuation problems. I think I should really make sure I look back at all my work and make sure that everything makes sense and everything is where it’s supposed to be.

Goal 2 – In grade 7, I plan to talk less during class. I can really get my work done in class, but it only depends on what’s around me. I know that if I’m sitting with my friends, then I will get easily distracted. So next year I have to think about what might distract me from my work and make sure I try my best to avoid this.

6. Is there any more information about yourself that you would like the teachers to know?

No, there is no more information about myself. This blogpost explains everything about me.

7. What was your favorite activity lesson in Humanities this year? What did you enjoy about it?

My favourite part of humanities this year was learning about ancient Egypt. I think the activity about ancient Egypt that I enjoyed the most was the ancient Egyptian rap. I really enjoyed it because you had to be really creative and what I know about myself as a learner is that I like to do things more creatively. So this activity really matched my learning profile (profile L).

8. What activity do you wish we could have spent more time on?

I think we could have spent more time on the imaginative narrative. Well, I think we spent a lot of time on it, but I just wish we could do more! Like I said before, I’m a creative learner and the imaginative narrative is all about creating a creative story. So I really wish we could have done more of that because I really enjoyed it.

9. Finally, cast your minds back to the first few months of middle school (when you arrived in Grade 6 ) what "Words of Wisdom" or "Advice" could you pass on to the Class of 2018?

Three words: DON’T BE SCARED! During the first few months of 6th grade I was really scared! We were the youngest there. I didn’t know how to work my locker. I didn’t understand my schedule. I didn’t know where some classes were. I didn’t know how anything worked in middle school. I did know, though, that being scared wouldn’t get me anywhere. After a while, I got used to it! I enjoyed it! I wasn’t scared at all! It all seemed normal to me! So I think that one thing you shouldn’t do is Freak Out!


No comments:

Post a Comment