Have you ever really noticed how you take in the information your teacher is saying? How do you react? What exactly are you doing while your teacher is talking? I know it sounds silly, but it is actually really interesting. Who knew you would actually have a certain way of learning.
Last year, Mr. Whiting came into our class to give us a lesson on our learning profiles. When I heard that he was coming to teach us about that, my first reaction- this is going to be really pointless. He came in and talked about what we were going to do. I listened, while rocking in my chair and possibly fidgeting with a pen. It was nothing interesting- or was it? Mr. Whiting had given us some tasks to do. Tasks that we would never think actually effected the way we learned. They were really simple tasks such as, dropping a pen and noticing which hand you reacted with, leaning forward or backward and using one foot to stop yourself from falling. When you answered a phone, which ear did you put the phone to- right or left? Then, after we did that he asked us about our learning styles. Did we learn better by organizing and doing things in order? Or did we learn better from creativity and just looking at the big picture? If we were organized, it meant we were logic and we used our left side of the brain more. If we were creative, it meant we were gestalt and we used our right side of the brain more. I was all right, which led to me being a profile L.
Don't you find it frustrating when you're just moving around in your chair in class and your teacher gets mad at you? It happens to me all the time! It's nothing I can control and honestly, it helps me learn better. It's nothing I ever really realize, so how could it possibly distract me from my work? Although, I do understand that it might distract other people in my class and even my teacher which is why they would probably tell me to stop, but it does help me with my learning! If my teachers want me to do good in a class, then why don't they just let me rock in my chair? So I think my teachers should know that me and my chair get along REALLY well.
Since this is who I am then I think there are a few things that would help me as a learner. For example, placing me in a spot where I can learn and move at the same time, without distracting myself or others. Now, that doesn't mean putting me in a place like the gym to just move around all I want, but it could mean in a place (probably near the back of the class) where I can move around in my chair without anybody noticing. Not just anywhere at the back of the class, but probably somewhere where I can really focus and take in the information without anything getting in my way. Since my right ear and right eye are the dominant parts then possibly putting me at the right side of the class would make a huge difference in my learning.
According to the sheet of paper about profile Ls, lazy 8's are a big help. Last year (the first time I had ever heard about lazy 8's) I had no idea what they were so I searched them up. Even though I am a profile L learner I don't think I do lazy 8's very much, but I do like to doodle randomly on anything that I have. If you looked at my binder or just any sheets of paper I own, you would see drawings almost everywhere! It also says that drawing and writing with the non-dominant hand is a great help. I realize I actually do that a lot! Last year I tried writing with my left hand and my handwriting was honestly horrible! This year I tried it again and I did it a lot more and I realized my left-hand writing has gotten a lot better!
Last, but not least, a message to my teachers. Well as I said before, placing me in a spot in the class that is near the back on the right side would probably help me a lot! When I'm under stress, trust me, you don't want me in your class, but you obviously have no choice (muahaha.) Though, there are ways to tolerate me being under stress. Sometimes I need some quiet time alone to just process new ideas because when I have too much to think about I can get out of hand. If you give me just a little bit of time alone then I will be able to communicate easier and I'll be able to control myself more. On the other hand, if you just dump more and more information on me, I will get very stressed and very frustrated and I might blow up. As I said before, just give me 5 or 10 minutes of some quiet time alone to process all the information and I will be fine after that. Concluding my explanation on my learning profile, I'm really happy Mr. Whiting came into our class to teach us about these little things in life that we never really notice.
No comments:
Post a Comment